Wild Garlic, New Potato and Black Onion Seed Soup with Marinated Feta
This soup is rich in flavor and topped with tangy feta for the perfect starter or meal.
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 10 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Urfa red pepper flakes
- 300 g (2 cups) Feta cheese, cut into cubes
- 6 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- To make the marinated feta, place 100 ml (½ cup) oil in a small pan over a moderate heat and add the curry leaves and dry spices. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes, until aromatic, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Pour the cooled spiced oil over the feta, along with the remaining 50 ml (2 Tablespoons) oil and the basil leaves. Gently toss the feta in the oil then refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
Wild Garlic, New Potato and Black Onion Seed Soup
- 80 g (½ ) medium onion, peeled, chopped
- 120 g (½ ) fennel bulb, chopped
- 100 g (1 ) celery stalk, chopped
- 200 g (1 ) large leek, sliced, cleaned, white parts only
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 40 g (½ cup) fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 40 g (½ cup) wild garlic, seperated into leaves and stalks, chopped divided use
- 454 g (1 pound) new red potatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon black onion seeds
- 960 ml (4 cups) vegetable stock
- To make the wild garlic soup, sauté the onion, fennel, celery, leek, garlic, and ginger in a large pan until soft. Add the wild garlic stalks and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and onion seed, cover with vegetable stock and allow to gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the wild garlic leaves and stir well.
- Add the soup to the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste.
To serve, divide the soup between bowls and crumble over the marinated feta. Sprinkle over a few black onion seeds and garnish with wild garlic flowers.
|Serving Size||392 g (1 serving)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||27 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|