Cornbread Stuffing with Caramelized Onions and Pecans
Impress holiday guests with this deceptively simple version of the Cornbread recipe.
- 200 g (2 cups) corn kernels
- 120 g (1 cup) whole wheat flour
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) honey
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- 60 g (⅓ cup) plain Greek yoghurt
- 240 ml (1 cup) rice milk
- 1 large egg
- Heat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Spray a 20-cm (8-inch) square pan with cooking spray.
- Pour into dry mixture and mix by hand until flour is moistened. Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Place popcorn kernels into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 50 seconds. Measure out 165 g (1 1/4 cups) and place into a medium-size mixing bowl. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix lightly by hand and set aside. Place left over corn meal into a sealed container and store in a cool, dry place.
- Place yoghurt, milk, honey, and egg into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10.
- Blend for 15 seconds.
- cornbread, cubed
- 100 g (1 cup) pecans
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil, optional
- 4 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 960 ml (4 cups) water
- Heat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Pour onion mixture over bread cubes in a bowl and stir together until liquid is absorbed. Stir in the chopped pecans and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat a 33 cm x 23 cm (13-inch x 9-inch) baking dish with cooking spray. Spread stuffing in prepared baking dish and bake for 35 minutes or until crisp and brown on top.
- Place pecans into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 5.
- Turn machine on and off quickly to pulse 6 to 8 times. Remove and set aside.
- Place onions into the Vitamix container and fill with enough water so that the onions float above the blades.
- Turn machine on and off quickly to pulse 3 or 4 times, or until desired consistency is reached.
- Drain well and pat onions dry with paper towels to remove all liquid.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and thyme, season with salt, if desired, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 30 minutes, or until deep brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 480 ml (2 cups) of water and increase heat to medium.
Add ½ cup/ 65 g of dried cranberries or dried cherries to add a little sweetness.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|
Cornbread Stuffing with Caramelized Onions and Pecans is rated out of 5 by 2.
Rated 1 out of 5 by hopeful from HELP! Obvious corrections needed!!! I agree with the one and only review listed prior to this one, the recipe is out of order and confusing! It's been two months and it's still not fixed. This is very disappointing, please correct the problem.
Date published: 2017-12-25
Rated 1 out of 5 by Gipper from Confusing and Out of Order This recipe is out of order and VERY confusing. Someone needs to review and seriously edit1
Date published: 2017-11-05