Quinoa Shrimp Cakes
Smooth Greek yoghurt helps hold these cakes together, while sweet pickles, celery and onion add a delightful crunch.
- 85 g (½ cup) quinoa, uncooked
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Greek yoghurt, 0% plain
- 56 g (¼ cup) mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 40 g (¼ cup) Sweet Pickles, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 226 g (8 ounces) shrimp, cooked, chopped
- 40 g (¼ cup) red pepper
- 30 g (¼ cup) celery, diced
- 25 g (¼ cup) spring onions
- ½ teaspoon Maldon salt, optional
- 1 egg white
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) olive oil
- Heat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- In a fine mesh strainer, rinse quinoa under cold water until water runs clear.
- In a small saucepan combine the water, quinoa and thyme and heat to boiling. Reduce to a simmer and cover; cook for 15-20 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed. Discard the thyme and spoon the quinoa onto a baking tray to cool.
- Place the yoghurt, mayonnaise, mustard, black pepper, paprika, cayenne and pickles into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 6.
- Use the On/Off switch to Pulse 5 times. Scrape the sides of the container with a spatula and pulse an additional 5 times, remove lid.
- Add in the shrimp, peppers, celery, onions and salt.
- Secure the lid and select Variable 8.
- Use the On/Off switch to pulse 4 times. Scrape the sides of the container with a spatula and pulse an additional 4 times, remove lid. DO NOT over process, leave textured.
- Gently form patties (4 large or 6 smaller) and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- In a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium high heat, add the oil and gently place cakes into the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bottoms are just golden brown.
- Carefully flip the cakes then place the entire pan in the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
|Serving Size||203 g (1 servings)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Quinoa Shrimp Cakes is rated out of 5 by 1.
Rated 1 out of 5 by Lilz from Confused about when to add quino I haven’t tried this recipe yet. At what part of the process do I use the quinoa?
Date published: 2020-06-03
Due to inactivity, your session has timed out and is no longer active.Reload the page