Spicy Kale with Polenta
Crushed red pepper adds a hint of spice and goat cheese mellows out the flavour in this polenta dish.
- 780 ml (3¼ cup) water
- 1 sprig thyme
- 180 g (1 cup) polenta, uncooked
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 120 g (½ cup) goat cheese
- 30 g (1 ounce) reduced fat cream cheese
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) olive oil
- 30 g (¼ cup) onion, peeled. diced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 225 g (8 ounces) crimini mushrooms
- 60 ml (¼ cup) dry white wine
- 70 g (1 cup) kale, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Bring 720 ml (3 cups) water and thyme to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gradually add polenta, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Reduce heat to medium; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until thick, stirring constantly. Discard the thyme sprig.
- Place egg, goat cheese, and cream cheese into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 5.
- Blend for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Add the egg mixture to the polenta, stirring to combine. Remove from heat.
- Coat an 20 cm (8-inch) square baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon polenta into the dish, spreading evenly. Keep warm.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tablespoon oil to the pan.
- Add onion, red pepper flakes, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add the wine and cook 2 to 4 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove mushroom mixture from the pan and keep warm.
- Return the pan to medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan.
- Add the remaining 60 ml (¼ cup) water, kale, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Top the polenta with the mushroom mixture, kale and toasted pine nuts.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|
Spicy Kale with Polenta is rated out of 5 by 1.
Rated 1 out of 5 by Ines from Not vegan This recipe is not vegan, even though it is listed in the vegan section on your website. Last time I checked goat cheese and cream cheese are not vegan. I am referring to this link: https://www.vitamix.com/Be-Inspired/Vegan/Top-10-Kale-Recipes. Some avoid dairy because of a dairy allergy, so it would be nice if you corrected your mistake. Thank you.
Date published: 2016-02-22