Warm Crab Cakes
Created by Chef Rick Gresh, your family and guests will think you ordered these crab cakes from your favourite restaurant. Heavy cream, egg yolk, and panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) help hold the cakes together and give them a rich, satisfying flavor.
- 1 egg yolk
- 115 g (¼ pound) white fish (cod, sole, pike)
- 55 g (¼ cup) mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 120 ml (½ cup) double cream
- 900 g (2 pounds) crab meat, cooked
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Maldon salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 215 g (2 cups) Panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, as needed
- Place egg yolk, fish, mayonnaise, butter, and heavy cream into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn on the machine and slowly increase speed to Variable 5.
- Blend for 20 seconds until smooth, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and fold in crabmeat, chives, and lemon zest.
- Scoop 24 2-ounce balls of mixture and form into 1 1⁄2-inch x 2-inch (4 cm x 5 cm) disks. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove cakes from the refrigerator and dredge each of them in the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté in vegetable oil until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a sheet pan and bake for approximately 12 minutes or until center is hot.
To properly test for seasoning, sauté a Tablespoon-sized crab cake.
|Serving Size||2 crab cakes|
|Amount Per Servings|
Due to inactivity, your session has timed out and is no longer active.Reload the page