Making your own ketchup allows you to control the sodium and sugar content, while you create something even more delicious! Follow the proper canning procedure to keep this ketchup on hand at all times.
- 3 pounds (1.3 kg) tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, diced
- ½ cup (110 g) dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- Place tomatoes into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 7 and secure the lid. Pulse 5 to 6 times, or until tomatoes are roughly chopped, using the tamper to press the tomatoes toward the blades.
- In a large saucepan with a heavy bottom, add oil and heat over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and all seasonings to the pan. Stir well and let simmer for about an hour.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1 or the Puree program.
- Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, and blend for 1 minute; or start the machine and allow the Puree program to complete.
- Cool ketchup before serving.
Please reference using the USDA Guidelines for canning.
|Serving Size||2 Tablespoons (30 )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|