Apricot-Ancho Barbecue Glaze
The perfect combination of sweet and spicy, try this barbecue glaze with grilled shrimp, pork or chicken.
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 (200 g) large onion, peeled, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- ¾ cup (180 ml) ketchup
- 1 medium orange, or 3/4 cup orange juice, peeled, halved
- 10 dates, or 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, pitted
- ¼ cup (60 ml) malt vinegar
- 2 ancho chiles
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup (120 g) fresh apricots, or canned apricots, drained, pitted
- Sauté the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium heat until almost crisp, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute
- Add all the remaining ingredients. Simmer until the apricots are soft, about 10 minutes. Taste the sauce and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Allow to cool slightly.
- Transfer sauce to Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades. Blend for 30 seconds
This glaze can be cooled and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
|Serving Size||1 serving (32 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|