Buckwheat Black Bean Soup
Not only is buckwheat gluten-free, but adding it to soup gives you a different way to eat your grains.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, optional
- 1 medium (120 g) onion, peeled, sliced
- ¾ medium (115 g) red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 medium (120 g) carrots
- 4 cups (960 ml) vegetable broth
- ½ small lime, peeled, halved
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup (10 g) fresh cilantro leaves, stemmed
- ¼ cup (45 g) buckwheat groats, or kasha
- 14.5 ounces (425 g) black beans, canned, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup (125 g) corn kernels
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and carrots and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, lime juice, spices, herbs, groats, black beans, and corn to the saucepan. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, then carefully transfer the cooked mixture into the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 1 minute. Pour into soup bowls and serve.
For more texture, try reserving 1/4 cup corn and 1/2 cup black beans, and adding them back in after blending is complete.
|Serving Size||1 serving (481 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|