Cabbage Salad with Currants, Spiced Pumpkin Seeds and Apple Cashew Vinaigrette
A delightful assortment of texture and a great use of autumn’s freshest ingredients.
For the Salad
- 2 cups (230 g) green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup (115 g) red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup (115 g) savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, julienned
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- ¼ cup (35 g) dried currants
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) spiced pumpkin seeds, see note
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 apple, seeded, cored, grated
- ¼ cup (15 g) fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Mix all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup (40 g) cashews
- 1 Tablespoon dried currants
- 2 Tablespoons (20 g) unhulled sesame seeds
- 1 medium (150 g) apple, cored, halved
- Place all salad dressing ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth and creamy.
- Toss with salad. Let marinate overnight in the refrigerator for a softer and more flavorful dish.
To make roasted, spiced pumpkin seeds, combine 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds, 3 Tablespoons cashew butter, 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 Tablespoon tomato sauce, and a pinch each: chipotle powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and cumin. Bake for 5 hours at 105 degrees F. Save extra roasted spiced pumpkin seeds for another use.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|