Quiche with Brown Rice Crust
The brown rice crust of this broccoli cheddar quiche is a delicious, whole-grain alternative to traditional crusts, and adds fantastic texture.
- 2 cups (400 g) brown rice, cooked, cooled
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup (90 g) broccoli, steamed
- 3 large eggs, or egg substitute
- ¾ cup (180 ml) soy milk
- ½ cup (55 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
- 4½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch (22.5 cm) pie pan with cooking spray.
- To make the brown rice crust, mix rice and egg white in a medium bowl by hand.
- Press into prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place broccoli in center of prebaked rice crust.
- To make filling, place eggs, soy milk, cheese, parsley, basil, salt and onion powder into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture over broccoli.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until top is brown.
|Serving Size||1 slice|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Quiche with Brown Rice Crust is rated out of 5 by 3.
Rated 4 out of 5 by Leelu from Has good potential I often find quiche to be very greasy and heavy, but this recipe is light and the filling turned out fluffy just the way I like. The brown rice crust was also different and I like how the sides turned out crunchy. But the seasoning in this recipe didn't give the filling enough taste. I would still use this recipe again, but modify the seasoning to give the filling more flavor. Overall, I do like this recipe and will use it again with some tweaks (maybe add some ham, use more onion powder and add garlic powder, and season the vegetables before steaming)
Date published: 2018-10-18
Rated 5 out of 5 by Carries_Carats from Great flavor profile! I had some leftover brown rice so made a ½ batch in muffin top pans which gave me 4. I reduced the bake time to 10" which was perfect and used the leftover egg mixture to make crustless muffins. I wasn't sure if the recipe REALLY meant 4½t basil so I just used about a tsp of fresh oregano (I read that the oils from fresh herbs are more concentrated due to the Vitamix blades). I did add garlic powder as recommended by another user. I'll definitely make this again! I
Date published: 2020-06-24
Rated 5 out of 5 by SheilaH from Great for company Cooking the rice days ahead if necessary, this goes together quick for sleep over company’s breakfast and boy were they impressed!
Date published: 2019-09-26