Tortellini with Broccoli Pesto
A twist on the traditional basil pesto, broccoli and parsley make this pesto just as green and equally tasty.
- 1 pound (455 g) broccoli, trimmed
- 1 cup (5 g) flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup (25 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound (455 g) cheese tortellini
- Cook broccoli in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly; reserve the water for cooking tortellini.
- Place oil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and broccoli into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 8.
- Blend for 30 seconds, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain and reserve ¾ cup (180ml) of the cooking liquid. Return the tortellini to the pot. Add the broccoli pesto and ¼ cup (60ml) of the reserved cooking water and toss to combine. Add more water as needed to loosen the sauce.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||62 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
Tortellini with Broccoli Pesto is rated out of 5 by 3.
Rated 3 out of 5 by Mugifer from Great idea, too bland for our taste It is a great way to use broccoli but it needs both umami and acid, and, of course, salt. I used the last bit of oil from our latest jar of anchovies plus a healthy squeeze of anchovy paste. Garlic: how could a pesto recipe not include it?! I also added a generous amount if lemon juice and Manzanilla olives—would have preferred capers but my pantry was without, oh horrors!—and ended up with a delicious sauce.
Date published: 2020-04-10
Rated 1 out of 5 by CarlaJ from awful recipe! The ratios in this recipe are unforgivably wrong. One pound of broccoli (that's 2 heads of broccoli) and only 1/4 cup of olive oil is laughable. It tasted terribly bland and didn't blend very well because there was not enough liquid. I had to add 3x the basil, 3x the cheese, 2x olive oil, plus added garlic and salt. Vitamix, please take the time to test your recipes before you share them with the community!
Date published: 2020-07-18
Rated 4 out of 5 by Chau from Love it Thank you for your recipe. Healthier life with Vitamix
Date published: 2020-07-22