Tuscan Tomato White Bean Soup
Puréed to perfection, white beans lend creaminess to this soup, which is best enjoyed with homemade croutons.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, halved
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds (900 g) Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 30 ounces (425 g) white beans, drained
- 4 cups (1¼ l) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups (115 g) Ciabatta bread, cubed
- ½ cup (55 g) Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, broth, water, rosemary sprig, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Discard the rosemary sprig.
- Working in batches, carefully ladle the stovetop soup into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 20 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour into a pot to keep warm. Repeat with leftover soup from the stovetop.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and sprinkle with chopped rosemary and shredded mozzarella.
- Bake until croutons are golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Top each bowl of soup with the croutons and serve.
|Serving Size||1 cup (240 ml)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||35 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
Tuscan Tomato White Bean Soup is rated out of 5 by 14.
Rated 4 out of 5 by Kate1212 from Delicious with room to add more! I added in a full zucchini and a handful of kale for some added nutrition. I also doubled the red pepper flakes and topped with a little extra mozzarella cheese for some color and additional flavor
Date published: 2016-01-04
Rated 5 out of 5 by Meredith from Very creamy without any cream! This was full of flavor and very creamy. I used canned diced tomatoes and added a palm full of cashews.
Date published: 2016-02-27
Rated 5 out of 5 by duggerdoo from Tuscan tomato white bean soup We make this soup at least once a week, and my kids love it!!!
Date published: 2015-12-02
Rated 5 out of 5 by Donna Mae from Great for processing garden produce we use this every fall to make great soups with fresh produce from our garden with very little scraps.
Date published: 2016-08-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by Sbhull514 from Delish Recipe turns out great really easy to prepare and very healthy. We added a little celery and garnished with cracked pepper and croutons.
Date published: 2016-08-01
Rated 5 out of 5 by MissLea from Great soup! We really enjoyed this soup! We put only 1 garlic clove and found it very tasty. We will do this recipe again, thank you!
Date published: 2016-01-05
Rated 5 out of 5 by megligweb from Tasty! We made last night for our family of 4...lots left over! Delicious!
Date published: 2015-11-30
Rated 5 out of 5 by Hotfuzz1968 from Delicious Awesome soup. Very easy to make. I added a little more crushed pepper than suggested, and it was divine. My only suggestion would be not to use the pre-set soup feature if your machine has it. Just one or two minutes on 10 and it’s perfect. When I did the soup setting it started to actually boil in the Vitamix.
Date published: 2018-03-11