Smoked Cheddar, Parsnip and Kale Bread Pudding
Transform leftover bread, kale, root vegetables and cheese into a delicious side dish.
- 3 large eggs, or egg substitute
- 640 ml (2¾ cup) milk, divided use
- 300 g (½ loaf) stale sourdough bread
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 100 g (⅔ cup) smoked cheddar cheese, grated, divided use
- 3 spring onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, optional
- 1 pinch salt
- 75 g (½ cup) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 60 g (2 cups) kale
- 25 g (¼ cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the eggs and 1¼ cup (300ml) of milk into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1, start the machine and slowly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 10 seconds. Place the bread into a bowl, pour theliquid over the bread and let soak for 1 hour.
- Place the parsnips in a pan and cover with the remaining milk. Add salt and simmer until the parsnips are soft, about 35 minutes. Place the parsnips milk mixture into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1, start the machine and slowly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 1 minute. Reduce the speed to Variable 1, remove the lid plug and add ⅓ cup (50g) of the smoked cheddar. Blend for an additional 30 seconds.
- Slice the spring onions and garlic and saute in 1 Tablespoon of oil until soft.
- To assemble the dish, spread a layer of the puree over the bottom of a 9X9 inch (23cm x 23cm) baking pan. Add the soaked bread in an even layer and pour the extra milk and egg mixture over the dish. Sprinkle the onion andgarlic mixture over the bread. Top with kale and cherry tomatoes. Place the rest of the parsnip puree over the top of the kale and tomatoes. Sprinkle the parmesan and the rest of the smoked cheddar on top.
- Bake in a 350F (180C) oven for 30 to 45 minutes.
This dish can be easily adapted using whatever you have in your refrigerator. Use any vegetable you have on hand to make the purée and as the toppings.
|Serving Size||1 servings|
|Amount Per Servings|