Cornbread Stuffing with Caramelized Onions and Pecans
Impress holiday guests with this deceptively simple version of the Cornbread recipe.
- 200 g (2 cups) corn kernels
- 120 g (1 cup) whole wheat flour
- 80 g (⅓ cup) honey
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- 60 g (⅓ cup) plain Greek yoghurt
- 240 ml (1 cup) rice milk
- 1 large egg
- Heat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Spray a 20-cm (8-inch) square pan with cooking spray.
- Pour into dry mixture and mix by hand until flour is moistened. Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Place popcorn kernels into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 50 seconds. Measure out 165 g (1 1/4 cups) and place into a medium-size mixing bowl. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix lightly by hand and set aside. Place left over corn meal into a sealed container and store in a cool, dry place.
- Place yoghurt, milk, honey, and egg into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10.
- Blend for 15 seconds.
- cornbread, cubed
- 100 g (1 cup) pecans
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 4 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 960 ml (4 cups) water
- Heat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Pour onion mixture over bread cubes in a bowl and stir together until liquid is absorbed. Stir in the chopped pecans and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat a 33 cm x 23 cm (13-inch x 9-inch) baking dish with cooking spray. Spread stuffing in prepared baking dish and bake for 35 minutes or until crisp and brown on top.
- Place pecans into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 5.
- Turn machine on and off quickly to pulse 6 to 8 times. Remove and set aside.
- Place onions into the Vitamix container and fill with enough water so that the onions float above the blades.
- Turn machine on and off quickly to pulse 3 or 4 times, or until desired consistency is reached.
- Drain well and pat onions dry with paper towels to remove all liquid.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and thyme, season with salt, if desired, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 30 minutes, or until deep brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 480 ml (2 cups) of water and increase heat to medium.
Add ½ cup/ 65 g of dried cranberries or dried cherries to add a little sweetness.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|