Aubergine Cannelloni with Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
This vegan version of the classic Italian dish wraps a flavourful quinoa and vegetable blend in tender slices of baked aubergine.
- 2 aubergines, peeled, sliced lengthwise 1.5 cm thick
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, diced
- 80 g (½ cup) onion, peeled, diced
- 120 g (1 cup) carrots, halved
- 55 g (½ cup) celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 225 g (8 ounces) baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon no-salt Italian seasoning blend
- 185 g (1 cup) quinoa, cooked
- 480 ml (2 cups) low-sodium pasta sauce
- 170 g (6 ounces) non-dairy Mozzarella-type cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Arrange aubergine in a single layer on a nonstick baking tray.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until aubergine is flexible enough to roll up easily. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons water in a large pan. Add pepper, onion, celery, and garlic.
- Sauté until just tender, adding more water if needed.
- Add spinach and Italian seasoning and cook until spinach is wilted. Add cooked quinoa.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Mix in 2-3 Tablespoons pasta sauce and all of the shredded cheese.
- Spread about 60 ml (¼ cup) of the pasta sauce in a baking dish.
- Put some of the vegetable mixture on each aubergine slice, roll up and place in dish. Pour remaining sauce over the aubergine rolls.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until heated through.
Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 170 g (½ cup) roasted red pepper
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ancho chilli powder
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts
- 100 g (½ cup) tomato, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- To make romesco sauce, place garlic, red peppers, water, vinegar, chili powder, pine nuts, tomato and yeast into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 2 or 3.
- Blend for 15 to 20 seconds or until chunky, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Serve eggplant topped with romesco sauce.
Mediterranean pine nuts are best.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|