Quinoa Shrimp Cakes
Smooth Greek yoghurt helps hold these cakes together, while sweet pickles, celery and onion add a delightful crunch.
- 170 g (1 cup) quinoa, uncooked, rinsed in water
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 1 sprig thyme
- 55 g (¼ cup) plain nonfat Greek yoghurt
- 60 ml (¼ cup) mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 40 g (¼ cup) Sweet Pickles, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 225 g (8 ounces) shrimp, cooked, drained and chopped
- 40 g (¼ cup) red pepper
- 30 g (¼ cup) celery, diced
- 25 g (¼ cup) spring onions, diced
- ½ teaspoon Maldon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) olive oil
- Heat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- In a fine mesh strainer, rinse quinoa under cold water until water runs clear.
- In a small saucepan combine the water, quinoa and thyme and heat to boiling. Reduce to a simmer and cover; cook for 15-20 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed. Discard the thyme and spoon the quinoa onto a baking tray to cool.
- Place the yoghurt, mayonnaise, mustard, black pepper, paprika, cayenne and pickles into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 6.
- Use the On/Off switch to Pulse 5 times. Scrape the sides of the container with a spatula and pulse an additional 5 times, remove lid.
- Add in the shrimp, peppers, celery, onions and salt.
- Secure the lid and select Variable 8.
- Use the On/Off switch to pulse 4 times. Scrape the sides of the container with a spatula and pulse an additional 4 times, remove lid. DO NOT over process, leave textured.
- Gently form patties (4 large or 6 smaller) and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- In a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium high heat, add the oil and gently place cakes into the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bottoms are just golden brown.
- Carefully flip the cakes then place the entire pan in the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
|Serving Size||1 shrimp cake|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|