Winter Greens Soup
A smooth puree of rustic winter vegetables is beautifully complimented by Cashew Sour Cream Sauce and Crispy Kale Chips.
- 1 leek, cleaned, sliced
- 100 g (1 stalk) celery, diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 720 ml (3 cups) low sodium vegetable stock
- 180 g (1 cup) tomatoes, diced
- 60 g (2 cups) kale
- 256 g (9 ounces) courgette, halved, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 90 g (3 cups) spinach, fresh
- 15 g (¼ cup) Italian parsley leaves
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a large saucepan, sauté leeks, celery, and garlic in oil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes, kale, zucchini, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered, 5 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat and let cool 30 minutes.
- Place half of the mixture into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 to 40 seconds. Pour into saucepan.
- Repeat with remaining soup. After blending, remove lid and add in fresh spinach, parsley and vinegar. Secure lid.
- Select Variable 6.
- Use the On/Off switch to quickly pulse 5 times. Pour into saucepan containing other blended soup. Heat over medium-high heat for 5 minutes before serving.
Cashew Sour Cream Sauce
- 125 g (1 cup) cashews, soaked 3 hours, rinsed, drained
- 120 ml (½ cup) water
- 45 ml (3 Tablespoons) lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ garlic clove
- ¼ shallot
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Drain soaked cashews and rinse thoroughly.
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1, start the machine, and slowly increase to its highest speed.
- Blend for 20 seconds, or until creamy and smooth.
- Add additional water to the sauce to give it to a thinner texture before serving with your soup. The sauce needs to be lighter than the soup to stay on top, otherwise it will sink to the bottom.
- 1 large bunch kale
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Wash kale well and pat dry. Remove the stems and discard.
- Place kale leaves in a medium bowl, and coat with olive oil, sea salt and paprika.
- Lightly toss and spread on baking tray, making sure they don’t overlap. Monitor kale chips in the oven and flip every 5 minutes until crispy.
Top off your soup with these garnish recipes developed by Megan May.
|Serving Size||240 (1 cup)|
|Amount Per Servings|
Due to inactivity, your session has timed out and is no longer active.Reload the page