Duck with Vodka and Cherry Sauce
This dish makes for a decidedly comforting yet elegant meal sure to please even the most discriminating guests. As for the sauce, also try making it separately as a great accompaniment to your favorite pork recipe!
- 4 baby courgettes
- 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil, divided use
- 1½ teaspoon sea salt, divided use
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided use
- 2 duck breasts
- 200 g (1⅓ cup) fresh or frozen cherries
- 60 ml (2 fluidounces) vodka
- 45 ml (3 Tablespoons) honey, or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Cut each courgette in half lengthwise and drizzle with ¼ cup (60 ml) of the olive oil. Season with ½ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven, cover with foil, and keep warm. Keep oven preheated at 200°C (400°F).
- Pat the duck breasts dry with a paper towel. Score the skin with a sharp knife and season on both sides with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Place the breasts, skin-side down, into a dry, cold frying pan. Cook over high heat for 5 minutes, or until the fat begins to render and the skin turns golden brown. Flip the breasts over and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer breasts to a baking pan and cook in the oven for 15 minutes (for pink interior) or up to 18 minutes (for well done). Remove from oven, cover with foil, and keep warm.
- Place cherries, vodka, chicken stock, honey, and cornstarch in the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select the lowest setting. Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, and blend for 2 minutes 30 seconds. Remove the lid plug, pour the remaining olive oil through the lid plug opening, and blend for 2 minutes 30 seconds.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, transfer to a small pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- To serve, pour some sauce onto each of four plates. Carve the duck breasts and divide evenly among the plates. Serve with the courgettes.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|