Whole Wheat Bread
Grind your own whole wheat flour and use it to make this easy homemade bread.
- 300 ml (1¼ cup) warm water
- 1 active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 390 g (3¼ cup) whole wheat flour
- 3 g (1 teaspoon) salt
- 1 Tablespoon light olive oil, or grapeseed oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- To proof the yeast, combine warm water, honey, and yeast. Stir quickly to combine. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Place the flour and salt into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1. Start the machine and slowly increase speed to Variable 6. Blend until a hole forms in the center of the mixture, about 5 seconds. Turn the machine off and remove the lid.
- Pour oil, lemon juice, and yeast mixture into the hole in the flour. Secure the lid.
- To mix the dough, turn the machine on High for 1 second. Stop the machine. Remove the lid.
- While the dough rests, lightly coat an 8½-inch x 4½-inch (22 cm x 11 cm) loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray or shortening.
- To knead the dough, two steps are required.
- Step 1: Use a nylon spatula to scrape the sides of the container. Pull the dough away from the container sides and into the center of the mixture.
- Step 2: With the machine on High, quickly turn the machine on and off five times.
- Repeat the above two-step process five times, or until the dough binds together in a soft, elastic mixture. To remove the dough from the container, turn the machine on and off five times (to lift the dough up and away from the blades). Invert the container over the prepared pan and let the dough fall into the pan. Use a wet nylon spatula to remove any remaining dough.
- Use a wet or oiled nylon spatula (or lightly floured fingers) to shape the loaf. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place, until the top of it reaches the top of the bread pan, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- If desired, brush the loaf quickly and gently with an egg white wash and make three to four diagonal slits about ¼-inch (.6 cm) deep on the top of the loaf using a sharp, serrated knife.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 35 minutes or until the bread is well browned and reaches an internal temperature of 200°F (93°C) when tested with an instant read thermometer.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then carefully remove from the pan and allow to cool completely before slicing.
To grind your own whole wheat flour, take 2 cups of whole kernel wheat and blend on high speed for 1 minute, using the tamper if necessary. Remove the lid and allow the flour to cool for several minutes before using. Measure out by gram weight the amount of whole wheat flour needed.
|Serving Size||1 slice|
|Amount Per Servings|