Chocolate Zucchini Cake
This cake is low in fat and incredibly moist! The zucchini adds nutrients as well as a great texture. A perfect way to sneak vegetables into the dessert course!
- 250 g (2 cups) courgette, diced
- 120 ml (½ cup) rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 150 ml (⅔ cup) applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 120 ml (½ cup) reduced fat buttermilk
- 310 g (2½ cup) plain flour
- 50 g (½ cup) cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 160 g (½ cup) chopped pecans
- 175 g (1 cup) plain chocolate (50% cocoa)
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F). Grease a 23 x 33-cm (9 x 13-inch) pan and set aside.
- Place zucchini into the Vitamix container. Add water until the zucchini floats above the blades about 480ml (2 cups). Secure the lid.
- Select Variable 6 and Pulse 4 times, or until evenly chopped. Transfer zucchini to a colander and drain well.
- Rinse the container. Place oil, vanilla, applesauce, eggs, and buttermilk into the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1 or the Puree program.
- Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, and blend for 1 minute; or start the machine and allow the Puree program to complete.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda to the container and secure the lid.
- Remove the lid plug and insert the tamper. Select Variable 6 and Pulse 10 to 12 times, using the tamper to press the ingredients toward the blades.
- Remove the lid and fold in the chopped zucchini.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with pecans and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
|Serving Size||1 slice|
|Amount Per Servings|