Crab Cakes with Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
Succulent, golden crab cakes pair wonderfully with this recipe’s tomato-based sauce, which features chilies, garlic, and lime.
- 6 slices bread, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 3 sprigs cilantro
- 14 ounces (400 g) crab meat
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 egg whites
- zest of 1 lime
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- To make the crab cakes, place bread pieces into the Vitamix machine and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 5, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Blend for 5 to 10 seconds or until it has formed breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Place the red pepper, scallions, and cilantro into the Vitamix container. Add water to the 6 cup mark and secure lid.
- Select Variable 5. Pulse 5 to 8 times using on/off switch until coarsely chopped. Drain well before using.
- Place 4 ounces (113 g) crabmeat, mayonnaise, egg white, lime zest, lime juice, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, salt, pepper and well drained chopped veggies into the Vitamix container.
- Secure lid. Continue to Pulse a few times on Variable 2, using tamper, until the mixture forms a coarse paste. Do not over process.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in remaining 10 ounces (284 g) crabmeat. Stir gently to combine. Add enough of the breadcrumbs to form a stiff mixture. Put the remaining breadcrumbs on a plate. Wash the Vitamix container.
- Shape the crab mixture into 8 patties of equal size. Coat in the breadcrumbs, pressing the crumbs onto each side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, cover with cling film and chill at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
- 2 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 4 ounces (110 g) superfine sugar
- 2 other red chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- Place all sauce ingredients into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10. Blend for 20 to 25 seconds. Pour the sauce into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium–high heat, add half of the crab cakes and fry for 2 minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate and keep warm while you cook the remaining cakes. Serve warm with the dipping sauce.
|Serving Size||2 crabcakes + 2 Tablespoons dipping sauce|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||24 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Crab Cakes with Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce is rated out of 5 by 1.
Rated 4 out of 5 by Cleo44 from Crab Cakes I have read through this recipe, and found it to be easy to follow.
Date published: 2015-11-13