An abundance of garden ripe tomatoes is the key ingredient. This homemade ketchup is well worth your time and minimal effort!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, halved
- 3 pounds (1.3 kg) tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup (110 g) dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large saucepan with a heavy bottom, add the olive oil and heat over medium low heat.
- Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes (including all juice and seeds), brown sugar, vinegar, salt, dry mustard, celery salt, garlic powder, ground cloves, and allspice to the onions. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool for 20 minutes, then place into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds.
- Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Pour the mixture into an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
|Serving Size||2 Tablespoons (30 )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|