Chicken Thighs ‘Fra Diavolo’
This is an old Italian-American dish that I’ve translated into a more modern version. The orange adds a great acidity and citrus note to the dish, while the fiery chilis still manage to do their job.
For the Fra Diavolo Marinade:
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 red jalapeños
- 6 garlic cloves
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons chili flakes
- 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Place bell pepper, jalapeños, garlic cloves, and olive oil into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start machine and slowly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 2 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer blended mixture to a bowl. Add chili flakes, black pepper, paprika, orange zest, and orange juice. Mix well with a whisk and refrigerate until needed.
For the Chicken Thighs:
- 10-12 chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 cups Fra Diavolo marinade
- Place chicken thighs and marinade in a plastic storage container and secure the lid. Carefully shake until the chicken thighs are completely coated. Refrigerate at least three hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place chicken thighs in an oven-proof baking dish and cook for 45 minutes, or until meat reaches 165° F, the top has a golden crust and the juices run clear when pierced. Serve with a simple salad or roasted kale with lemon.