Roasted Carrot, Fennel, and Chive Hummus
Simple flavors combine for this explosive tasting hummus that'll warm and delight your palate. Serve with cucumbers, other fresh vegetables, or fresh baked Naan bread.
- 1 cup (210 g) dried chickpeas
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- water, enough to cover chickpeas by 2" (5cm)
- 1 1/2 cups (225 g) carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- 1/4 cups (180 ml) aquafaba
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sherry vinegar
- ½ lemon, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons honey, optional
- 1/2 cups fresh chives, finely chopped
- For the chickpeas, follow a 2-2-2 cooking method. Soak the chickpeas in water for 2 hours, then simmer on the stovetop for 2 hours, starting timer once the simmering starts. Then, allow to cool at room temperature in the cooking pot for 2 hours. Set aside 2 cups (360g) of the chickpeas and 3/4 cup of the aquafaba for the blend once cooked and chilled.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a small sheet tray with parchment paper and set aside. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the carrots, garlic, fennel seed, sesame seed, kosher salt and olive oil, and toss ingredients to combine. Spread onto the sheet tray and place into preheated oven.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes or until carrots are lightly browned and seeds are toasted. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Place aquafaba, sherry vinegar, lemon, honey, chickpeas and roasted carrot mixture into the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 45-60 seconds, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
- Remove hummus to a bowl and stir in the finely chopped chives. Place into a serving dish and garnish with olive oil and flake sea salt if desired.
Aquafaba is the thickened liquid that chickpeas cook in and are typically stored in. In this recipe, it can be substituted for water if desired.
|Serving Size||1 serving (53 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|