Flan is the perfect “prepare ahead” dessert. This can be made a few days ahead of time and served the day of the party by simply dipping the molds into hot water to loosen the caramel bottom.
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 2½ cup (600 ml) milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large pasteurized egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and spray an oven proof baking mold with non-stick spray.
- Combine a ½ cup (100 g) of sugar and water in a medium sauté pan. Place over medium high heat.
- Cook for 6-10 minutes, frequently brushing the sides of the pan with a wet paper towel to prevent sugar build up.
- Cook until sugar mixture is amber brown in color and remove from heat. Be very careful as mixture will be extremely hot. Pour sugar mixture into 6 prepared molds.
- Place milk into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select the hot soup program and start the machine and let program complete or select Variable 1 and increase to the highest speed for 5 minutes and 45 seconds.
- Once the program has completed or 5 minutes and 45 seconds has past, reduce speed to Variable 5 and carefully remove the lid plug.
- Add a ½ cup (110 g) sugar, vanilla, eggs, and egg yolks through the lid plug opening.Secure lid plug and blend for 15 seconds.
- Pour milk mixture over sugar mixture in the prepared molds and skim the foam from the top of the mixture.
- Place mold in shallow water bath and place bath in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until custard is set. Remove from oven and place into the refrigerator. Cool completely before flipping flan onto serving platter.
|Serving Size||1 individual flan|
|Amount Per Servings|