French Onion and Wild Mushroom Soup
This twist on traditional French onion soup uses mushrooms for added depth of flavor.
- 1½ cup (195 g) onion, peeled, diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (45 ml) dry sherry, divided use
- 2 cups (480 ml) beef broth
- ⅛ ounce (6 g) dried mushrooms
- ½ carrot
- ½ Tablespoon chia seeds
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add oil, onion, and bay leaf. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add the butter, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Deglaze with 2 Tablespoons (30ml) of sherry.
- Place beef stock, dried mushrooms, carrot, and chia seeds into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select the machine's lowest speed. Start the machine and slowly increase to its highest speed.
- Blend for 7 minutes and 30 seconds, or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.
- Reduce the speed to Variable 2 and add the onion mixture and remaining sherry.
- Blend for another 10 seconds.
To spice up this soup, add hot sauce, pepperoncini peppers, or your favorite spice blend.
|Amount Per Servings|
French Onion and Wild Mushroom Soup is rated out of 5 by 6.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Julianna from AMAZING!!! I make a ton of soups in my vitamix and this and the celery soup are at the top! we are in the middle of a snow storm so i could not get out to grab dried mushrooms - just sauteed a handful of regular mushrooms with my onions. AMAZING flavour in this soup, so much depth to it!
Date published: 2019-12-01
Rated 5 out of 5 by alaskamountainmama from Fantastic Creamy and earthy! Deep rich flavor! I made a vegan version with Vegan butter and vegetable broth.
Date published: 2018-09-10
Rated 4 out of 5 by Eater from Good! Modified... I made this recipe with a few modifications: vegetable broth + browning sauce instead of beef broth; 1T Earth Balance spread instead of 2T butter; 1 clove garlic added to onion; fresh thyme vs dried; dashes of chipotle powder, smoked paprika, and nutritional yeast. It made 3 cups. It is a good recipe, but I didn't care for it I believe due to the dried shiitakes. Despite this, I would still make it again. Next time I may rinse the mushrooms heavily before adding to the blender to see if that helps their off-putting flavor, or use another variety sauteed with the onion. Here is the myfitnesspal link for my version in case anyone is curious: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/23508284297069
Date published: 2018-12-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by Vitamixer TJ from Delicious Even cutting out some steps to save time, this was absolutely delicious.
Date published: 2018-05-03
Rated 5 out of 5 by Island Princesz from PERFECT Taste Amazing! Would love some photo reference and nutritional information. The lack of these is a little disappointing considering the cost of these items.
Date published: 2018-06-11
Rated 5 out of 5 by Lindarae from love it! Only might suggest half a bay leave instead of a whole one. My husband wasn't crazy about the strong bay flavor. I would leave the recipe as is.
Date published: 2019-04-11