We really are what we eat, so let’s fight off those winter blues with some foods said to enhance mood. Using the Vitamix blender to make a fresh treat also helps avoid the mood-dampening additives and sugar of processed foods.
First and favorite—chocolate! Savor a cup of Hazelnut Hot Chocolate or whip up a Chocolate Orange Fondue for desert. Or add a banana to a smoothie like Banana Blueberry Orange. Bananas contain dopamine, the chemical our bodies produce when we feel pleasure.
Coffee and tea provide caffeine, a mood-boosting stimulant. As a change from coffee alone, sample a blended coffee drink like Moco Coco Chilled Coffee, which also contains mood-enhancing chocolate in the form of cocoa.
Purple berries are another good beverage candidate: drink a glass of Acai Pomegranate Blueberry Agua Fresca and see if the winter day looks brighter.
A case of the late winter, late afternoon blahs? Reach for protein rather than carbs to help stabilize blood sugar—a snack like Almond Butter on toast or Hummus with raw vegetables will boost your energy.
Try these 10 Winter Recipes:
- Hazelnut Hot Chocolate: The flavor of hazelnut combines so well with the irresistible chocolate in this hot beverage.
- Chocolate Milkshake: The milkshake is a guilty pleasure of childhood, and it’s nice to know that the chocolate can lift your mood while tasting delicious.
- Chocolate Orange Fondue: With the chocolate, the cream, the butter, and the hint of orange, this dish is enough to lift anyone’s mood.
- Almond Butter: A luxurious change from peanut butter, and chockfull of energy-producing protein.
- Hummus: The pureed chickpea dip, rich in protein and made creamy smooth in the Vitamix, comes in three recipes: original, with garlic; spicy, with hot sauce added, and Roasted Red Pepper, smoky and rich.
- Banana Blueberry Orange Smoothie: So much deliciousness contained in one glass: bananas and blueberries are both said to be mood-lifters.
- Moco Coco Chilled Coffee: A trifecta of mood lifters: chocolate, cocoa, and milk.
- Cappuccino Shake: Instant coffee adds an instant pick-me-up to a frozen yogurt or ice cream shake.
- Acai Pomegranate Blueberry Agua Fresca: Beautifully purple and refreshing, it will lift your spirits just to look at it.
- Cheese-Filled Crépes with Blueberry Coulis: Everyone in the family will love these cheese-filled crépes for breakfast or dessert. Serve with blueberry coulis and whipped cream for a sweet delight.