Black Bean Soup
A hearty black bean and chickpea soup with the full flavor of assorted bell peppers, jalapeño, scallions, and garlic.
- 3 cups (720 ml) low sodium vegetable broth
- 1½ cup (315 g) black beans, cooked, rinsed, drained
- 1½ cup (360 g) chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup (80 g) onion, sautéed
- 3 garlic cloves, roasted
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, quartered
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (35 g) red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, diced
- Place broth, ¾ cup (155 g) beans, chickpeas, onion, garlic, lime juice, jalapeño pepper, and seasonings into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select the Hot Soups progream, or Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and allow the machine to complete the programmed setting, or slowly increase speed to High and blend for 6-7 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.
- Reduce speed to Variable 4 and remove the lid plug. Add peppers and reserved ¾ cup (155 g) beans through the lid plug opening.
- Blend for additional 10 seconds. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size||1 cup (240 ml)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Black Bean Soup is rated out of 5 by 21.
Rated 4 out of 5 by BethLIC from Solid Soup! I made a few tweaks to this recipe, but overall I think it is a solid soup. I blended all of the chickpeas and tossed in all of the black beans whole. I also roasted all of the vegetables, and blended the pepper instead of tossing it in at the end. At the end I tossed in a few roasted corn kernels for some crunch and added a splash of my favorite chili sauce. This soup was flavorful and the texture was velvety. I would definitely make this again.
Date published: 2015-12-28
Rated 5 out of 5 by Kathe from Delicious! I didn't notice that it said to roast the garlic and sauté the onion when I saved this recipe. So glad I didn't, because that would have been too much work for what I wanted to be a simple soup. So with just those changes of raw garlic and onions, absolutely delicious and very simple.
Date published: 2017-03-03
Rated 5 out of 5 by Elizabeth the First from Simple and Delicious This soup is great! It can be a little spicy (just don't add as many jalapenos). Overall it is very easy, very healthy, and reheats well.
Date published: 2016-01-03
Rated 5 out of 5 by Michael242 from Delicious soup! I sautéed the onions and the garlic and topped it with sour cream and scallions. I looooooved it. Very pleased with the outcome.
Date published: 2016-05-18
Rated 4 out of 5 by Whitney from Simple and Flavorful This was a pretty easy and simple recipe. The Jalepeno gave it just enough zing. I thought it was a little heavy on the cumin. Next time I think I will add more black beans at the end for a thicker soup, some grilled chicken would be a nice addition as well.
Date published: 2016-03-09
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jami from LOVE it I LOVE it! I'm a diabetic and this is a great, healthy option for me. I roasted the peppers, garlic and sweet onions. Added 1/2 a baked chicken breast and some plain non-fat greek yogurt - both to add the protein I need. Didn't have a hot pepper, so I added some verde sauce instead and a bit of Chili- Lime seasoning. this will be a staple for me!
Date published: 2017-01-22
Rated 2 out of 5 by JH12345 from Decent enough, but not great Quite a lot of effort for average output. Wouldn't have again.
Date published: 2016-03-09
Rated 1 out of 5 by RedW from Way too much onion and otherwise bland The soup looked pretty got when made but turned out to have way too strong of an onion flavor. Otherwise, it was very bland. Won't be making this again.
Date published: 2015-11-30