20% Off Your EatLove Membership. EatLove provides custom Dietitian-approved meal plans created with your unique health goals and dietary preferences in mind. Get Started
Eggplant Cannelloni with Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
This vegan version of the classic Italian dish wraps a flavorful quinoa and vegetable blend in tender slices of baked eggplant.
- 2 eggplants, peeled, sliced lengthwise ½-inch (1.5 cm) thick
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, diced
- ½ cup (80 g) onion, peeled, diced
- 1 cup (120 g) carrots, halved
- ½ cup (55 g) celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 ounces (225 g) baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon no-salt Italian seasoning blend
- 1 cup (185 g) quinoa, cooked
- 2 cups (480 ml) low-sodium pasta sauce
- 6 ounces (170 g) non-dairy Mozzarella-type cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until eggplant is flexible enough to roll up easily. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons water in a large pan. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic.
- Sauté until just tender, adding more water if needed.
- Add spinach and Italian seasoning and cook until spinach is wilted. Add cooked quinoa.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Mix in 2-3 Tablespoons pasta sauce and all of the shredded cheese.
- Spread about ¼ cup (60ml) of the pasta sauce in a baking dish.
- Put some of the vegetable mixture on each eggplant slice, roll up and place in dish. Pour remaining sauce over the eggplant rolls.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until heated through.
Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup (170 g) roasted red pepper
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts
- ½ cup (100 g) tomato, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- To make romesco sauce, place garlic, red peppers, water, vinegar, chili powder, pine nuts, tomato and yeast into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 2 or 3.
- Blend for 15 to 20 seconds or until chunky, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Serve eggplant topped with romesco sauce.
Mediterranean pine nuts are best.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|