Lemon Grain Salad with Kale Pesto
With so much flavor, you won’t even realize you’re eating healthy grains.
- 1 cup (160 g) pearl barley, uncooked
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- ½ cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup (70 g) dried currants
- 2 (40 g) small shallots, peeled, chopped
- 6 cups (180 g) kale, stemmed, roughly chopped, packed
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook barley according to package directions. Allow to cool.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the currants and shallot and cook over moderate heat for about 3 minutes or until the shallot is golden, stirring often. Add the barely and add the pine nuts.
- Place kale, lemon juice and remaining olive oil into the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed.
- Blend for 30 seconds, using the tamper as necessary to press the ingredients toward the blades. Toss with the barley mixture and serve.
|Serving Size||1 serving (126 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|