Quinoa Shrimp Cakes
Smooth Greek yogurt helps hold these cakes together, while sweet pickles, celery and onion add a delightful crunch.
- ½ cup (85 g) quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Greek yogurt, 0% plain
- ¼ cup (56 g) mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup (40 g) Sweet Pickles, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces (226 g) shrimp, cooked, chopped
- ¼ cup (40 g) red bell pepper
- ¼ cup (30 g) celery, diced
- ¼ cup (25 g) spring onions
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C.) In a fine mesh strainer, rinse quinoa thoroughly under cold water.
- In a small saucepan combine the water, quinoa and fresh thyme leaves and heat until boiling. Reduce to a simmer and cover, cooking for 15-20 minutes or until all water water is absorbed. Discard the fresh thyme leaves and spread the quinoa on a baking tray to cool.
- Place the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, black pepper, paprika, cayenne and pickles into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 6. Pulse 3-5 times. Scrape the sides of the container with a spatula and pulse an additional 5 times. Remove the lid and add in the shrimp, peppers, celery stalk, onions, quinoa, egg whites, and salt. Secure the lid.
- Select Variable 8. Pulse 4-7 times. Scrape the sides of the container with a spatula and pulse an additional 4 times. Be careful not to over process, leave textured.
- Gently form patties (4 large or 6 smaller) and place on a parchment lined baking tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Heat a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium high heat, then add the oil and heat. Gently place cakes into the pan, the cakes should sizzle to indicate your oil is hot enough.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bottoms are just golden brown. Carefully flip the cakes, then place the pan in the oven and bake for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size||1 servings (203 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Quinoa Shrimp Cakes is rated out of 5 by 1.
Rated 1 out of 5 by Lilz from Confused about when to add quino I haven’t tried this recipe yet. At what part of the process do I use the quinoa?
Date published: 2020-06-03