Tortellini with Broccoli Pesto
A twist on the traditional basil pesto, broccoli and parsley make this pesto just as green and equally tasty.
- 1 pound (455 g) broccoli florets
- 1 cup (20 g) Italian flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup (20 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound (454 g) cheese tortellini
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook broccoli in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly; reserve the water for cooking tortellini.
- Place oil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon juice and zest, and broccoli into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to Variable 8. Blend for 30 seconds, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain and reserve ¾ cup of the cooking liquid. Return the tortellini to the pot. Add the broccoli pesto and ¼ cup of the reserved cooking water and toss to combine. Add more water as needed to loosen the sauce.
For additional flavor, try adding a splash of white balsamic vinegar or some fresh raw garlic when blending the vegetable mix.
|Serving Size||1 serving (264 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||57 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|