Tuscan Tomato White Bean Soup
Puréed to perfection, white beans lend creaminess to this soup, which is best enjoyed with homemade croutons.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ small (60 g) small onion, peeled
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds (900 g) roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cans (850 g) white beans, drained
- 4 cups (1¼ l) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups (115 g) Ciabatta bread, cubed
- ½ cup (55 g) Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, broth, water, rosemary sprig, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Discard the rosemary sprig.
- Working in batches, carefully ladle the stovetop soup into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 20 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour into a pot to keep warm. Repeat with leftover soup from the stovetop.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and sprinkle with chopped rosemary and shredded mozzarella.
- Bake until croutons are golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Top each bowl of soup with the croutons and serve.
|Serving Size||1 cup (240 ml)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||35 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|