Vanilla Custard Sauce
This basic dessert sauce is perfect on fruit, topping cake, or included in your favorite trifle recipe.
- 6 large pasteurized egg yolks
- 1½ cup (360 ml) half & half
- ½ cup (120 ml) whole milk
- ¼ cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1 Tablespoon butter, room temperature
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 6 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.
|Serving Size||1 cup (240 )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|
Vanilla Custard Sauce is rated out of 5 by 1.
Rated 4 out of 5 by VitaNewbie from Super Rich, Maybe Too Rich As a Vitamix beginner, I have been following recipes exactly as written and they are either a hit or miss. I haven't made a smoothie yet I didn't like, the two soups I tried were NOT good, and this custard recipe was fantastic... all my opinions, obviously. This vanilla custard was easy to make, requires fresh, but really fattening ingredients, makes enough for 4 people to have seconds, and smells delicious. I poured it hot over pound cake (another FATTENING ingredient, haha) and my family LOVED it. I found it too rich to eat all of my serving, but everyone else had seconds and finished the custard. I'm not a big dessert eater anyway, but those that are loved it. It lost a star because it really doesn't need that much half and half and that much egg yolk. It was too rich for me. I think I'd experiment with lighter ingredients next time. Consensus: I wouldn't hesitate to make this again. I wish I had fresh strawberries to add to the pound cake like Jan used on the QVC Vitamix special, but maybe next time.
Date published: 2016-04-10