Whole Wheat Banana Bread
With a few simple substitutions, this high-fiber alternative offers all the flavor and moistness of the original.
- 1⅔ cup (200 g) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅔ cup (135 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (55 g) butter spread
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) skim milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel
- 2 bananas, peeled, halved
- ¼ cup (65 g) applesauce
- ⅔ cup (80 g) chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Spray an 8 1/2-inch x 4 1/2-inch (21.25 cm x 11.25 cm) loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-size bowl. Set aside.
- Place egg, sugar, butter spread, milk, lemon peel, bananas, and applesauce into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 5.
- Blend for 10-15 seconds or until mixed.
- Pour batter into dry ingredients and mix gently by hand to combine.
- Stir nuts into batter, reserving some to sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
|Serving Size||1 slice|
|Amount Per Servings|
Whole Wheat Banana Bread is rated out of 5 by 5.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Olivia from This bread is bananas My son has FPIES so I'm always looking for good recipes that have minimal substitutions. This one is delicious in my Vitamix. I use coconut oil for butter and Sorghum flour rather than All Purpose. My toddler loves it and so do I!
Date published: 2016-01-14
Rated 5 out of 5 by Mellyschu from My go-to recipe! I love this recipe. It always turns out great, tastes great and healthy! It's my go to banana bread recipe and I LOVE it!
Date published: 2017-02-10
Rated 5 out of 5 by Deborah C from Best ever banana bread This bread was great toasted for breakfast. I used Swerve instead of sugar. Very easy to make with excellent results. I loved that it is not as cloyingly sweet as some quick breads. The whole wheat also makes it more filling for a longer time than AP Flour would.
Date published: 2018-12-15
Rated 5 out of 5 by Hiccup25 from Amazing versatile recipe I ground my own fresh red fife wheat for this recipe. Its an amazing recipe made easy in the vitamix.
Date published: 2019-02-05
Rated 3 out of 5 by KitKatmom from Not my fave Honestly, this is just an average bread. I’m not a fan of the banana with lemon flavor. I would have much rather had cinnamon in the recipe. The consistency was a little bit dry and mixing the bananas in the Vitamix prevented the little black banana residues in the baked bread which I think one of my favorite things about bread or any baked item with bananas as an ingredient.
Date published: 2019-07-19