This traditional-style donut will satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth, and leave you wanting just one more!
- 3 cups (960 ml) vegetable oil, for frying
- ⅔ cup (150 ml) room temperature buttermilk
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar, or Date Syrup to taste
- 1½ teaspoon instant yeast
- 6 Tablespoons room temperature water
- ¼ cup (60 g) melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups (455 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) salt, optional
- In a high-sided sauté pan, add oil and place over medium heat until you reach 350°F (175°C). Use a deep fry thermometer to ensure the temperature stays constant.In a small bowl, combine buttermilk with sugar and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow yeast to bloom.
- Place water, buttermilk mixture, butter, and egg into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid. Select Variable 1, start the machine, and slowly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 10 seconds, or just until combined.
- Stop the machine, remove the lid, and add flour and salt.
- Secure the lid and select Variable 7. Pulse 4 times.
- Stop and scrape the sides of the container with a spatula, then secure the lid.
- Select Variable 7 and Pulse 9 more times, until a ball forms and dough separates from the sides of the container.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, and cover with a damp towel. Let rise in the warmest part of your kitchen, until the dough had doubled in size for about one hour.
- Dust a work surface with flour, and roll out dough to about ½ inch (1.2 cm) thick.
- Use a large round ring mold to cut out the donuts, and a small ring mold to cut out the holes.
- Fry donuts one at a time in the prepared sauté pan, about 2 minutes on each side or until golden-brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack, and top with your favorite icing.
|Serving Size||1 donut|
|Amount Per Servings|