Mac and Cheese Frittata
Our immersion blender helps make this classic dish into a surprisingly delicious breakfast item that the whole family will enjoy, a Mac and Cheese Frittata!
- ⅓ pound (151 g) chickpea elbow macaroni
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil, or neutral oil, divided use
- ½ cup (120 g) canned green chilies, chopped
- ¾ cup (85 g) grated cheddar cheese, divided use
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 cup (30 g) baby spinach, chopped, optional
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 5 large eggs, plus 3 egg whites if desired
- 1 cup (240 ml) light coconut milk, optional
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C.)
- In a large saucepot, bring 3-4 quarts of water to a boil. Add the elbow macaroni and allow to come back to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp. salt and 1 Tbsp. oil and boil for 9 minutes or until cooked. While macaroni is boiling, add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to a 12" (30cm) cast iron skillet. Alternatively, spray with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- After macaroni is cooked, remove from pot with a spider strainer or drain using a colander, allowing all excess water to drip off. Add to cast iron skillet along with 1/2 cup of grated cheddar, green chilies, spinach if using, and all seasonings except the pinch of salt.
- Gently fold ingredients together until combined.
- In a separate appropriately-sized container, combine the eggs and a pinch of salt, and coconut milk if using. Submerge the immersion blender below the surface of the liquid, or as close to the ingredients as possible.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then increase to Variable 3. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for approximately 15 seconds or until well mixed.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the macaroni. Using a spatula, gently lift the macaroni so the egg mixture tucks under and inside the macaroni. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar on top of the frittata. Place into preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then cut and enjoy!
|Serving Size||1 serving (94 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|