100 Ways to Start Your Whole Story | Browse hand-picked recipes, tips, challenges, and more! Start Your Whole Story
Pumpkin Miso Soup
Pumpkin and miso combine to create a warming soup that's perfect for cold days.
- 1 (425 g) small sugar pumpkin, or 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 (60 g) medium yellow onion, peeled, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, sliced
- 1 piece fresh ginger root, 1" sliced
- 1/4 cups (70 g) white miso paste
- ½ cup (120 ml) soy milk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, removing stringy flesh and seeds. Coat the flesh with a drizzle of olive oil and maple syrup. Place cut-side down on a baking sheet and roast for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in medium-sized saucepot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes, then add garlic and ginger, cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add pumpkin flesh or pumpkin purée, turmeric, and water. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Carefully pour the contents of the saucepot into the Vitamix container, then add miso and soy milk. Secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached. Serve immediately.
- Recipe adapted from Desiree Nielsen.
- If a thinner soup is desired, add 1/2 to 1 cup of additional liquid of choice.
- Try rinsing and patting your pumpkin seeds dry, then tossing them with olive oil, salt, pepper, turmeric, and cumin before roasting for 20 minutes to create a tasty garnish for your soup.
|Serving Size||1 serving (276 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|