This simple roasted vegetable gravy creates some of the same flavors in a classic gravy, but in a meatless version. Enjoy it with any side dish, or ladled over roasted vegetables.
- 2 (175 g) medium carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 (300 g) yellow onion, peeled, halved
- 3 (150 g) celery stalk, cut into large chunks
- ½ pound (227 g) cremini mushrooms, cleaned, halved
- 3 sage leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves only, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons raw brown rice
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt, optional
- 4 cups (960 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205 °C).
- Place carrots, onion, celery, and mushrooms into the Food Processor Work Bowl fitted with the Multi-Use Blade. Pulse 8 to 10 times or until ingredients are chopped uniformly.
- Place chopped ingredients onto a sheet tray and add the sage, thyme, rosemary, brown rice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix to incorporate, and place into preheated oven, roasting for 55 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once roasted, let cool slightly. Carefully place the roasted mixture and vegetable stock into a Vitamix 64-ounce container and secure the lid.
- Blend for 5 minutes 45 seconds; or select the Hot Soups program and allow the machine to complete the programmed cycle.
- Unlike other gravies where the vegetables are removed from the final dish, this gravy is loaded with blended veggies and herbs, upping not only the flavor but the nutrients as well.
- By chopping this mixture, you increase the surface area of the vegetables, allowing for more browning in the oven which leads to more flavor in your gravy.
- This mixture can even be roasted a day or two in advance, saving you time the day of.
- If you don't have the Vitamix Food Processor, you can easily chop the vegetables using the wet or dry chopping method in your Vitamix blending container. Visit vitamix.com to see how it's done.
|Serving Size||1 serving (63 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|