Beef, Vegetable & Manchego Empanadas
Our simple empanada recipe is baked, not fried, for a healthier version of this classic Spanish dish.
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) water
- 1 large egg
- 110 g (½ cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 335 g (2¾ cup) all-purpose flour
- Place the flour, salt, and butter into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start machine, slowly increase to Variable 4.
- Blend for 10 seconds, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades. Transfer flour mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Place egg, water, and vinegar into the Vitamix container.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start machine and slowly increase to Variable 4.
- Blend for 10 seconds. Pour wet mixture over top of flour mixture in bowl and stir to incorporate.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 3 to 4 minutes. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll dough to ⅛-inch (¼-cm) thickness. Cut out 5-inch (12-cm) rounds.
- 3 carrots, halved
- ½ onion, peeled, diced
- 115 g (¾ cup) Manchego cheese, cubed
- 455 g (1 pound) ground beef, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt and pepper
- egg wash, for sealing and glazing
- Select Variable 7.
- Start machine and remove lid plug. Drop carrot pieces one at a time through the lid plug opening, followed by the onion. If needed, use the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Chop only until carrots and onions are of a uniform consistency. Do not overprocess or puréeing will occur.
- Repeat the process with the Manchego cheese.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add the carrot mixture, ground beef, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until ground beef is cooked through.
- Strain off the excess fat and cool.
- Stir in the chopped Manchego cheese.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fill each dough round with 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling.
- Brush around the filling with egg wash and fold the dough over in half. Press with the tines of a fork to remove any air pockets.
- Brush tops with egg wash. Place on prepared tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
|Serving Size||1 Serving|
|Amount Per Servings|