Chicken Tikka Masala
A rich and creamy curry with cumin, chilli, tomato and coconut base, this Chicken Tikka Masala is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) peanut oil
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 other red chilies
- 1 Tablespoon coriander leaves
- 1 Tablespoon flaked coconut
- 1 Tablespoon almonds, blanched
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger root
- 240 ml (1 cup) plain Greek yogurt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, uncooked, cubed
- 30 ml (1 Tablespoon) sunflower oil
- 2 onions, peeled, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, diced
- 300 g (28 ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- fresh cilantro leaves
- To make the paste, place the cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a dry pan over a medium heat. Lightly toast for a few minutes until golden and aromatic.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Place the toasted seeds into the Vitamix 600-ml container and secure the blade.
- Turn the dial to 1 and slowly increase the speed to 8.
- Blend for 10 seconds.
- Transfer the toasted spice powder along with the rest of the paste ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Turn the dial to 1 and slowly increase the speed to 10.
- Blend for 45 seconds, using the tamper to press the ingredients onto the blades.
- Transfer half the paste to a bowl and add 100ml of the yoghurt and chicken pieces. Stir to coat and leave to marinate, covered, in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, preferable over night.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the remaining paste mixture, onions and capsicum. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the onions are soft but not browned.
- Add the chicken and its marinade. Stir well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining yoghurt. Garnish with coriander and serve with naan, rice and mango chutney.
Serve with naan bread, cooked rice, and mango chutney.
|Amount Per Servings|