Christmas Chili Oil
This uniquely spicy, smoky oil makes quite an impressive holiday gift for all your foodie friends and family. Just be sure to save some for yourself to brush on your own Christmas turkey or ham!
- 2 whole star anise whole star anise
- 2 cardamom pods cardamom pods
- 3 whole cloves whole cloves
- 10 peppercorns black peppercorns
- 5 berries allspice berries
- 1 Tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 stick cinnamon stick
- 20 chiles red chile
- 1 l (4 cups) canola oil
- Place star anise, cardamom seeds, cloves, peppercorns, allspice berries, Sichuan peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and chiles de árbol in a dry, non-stick pan over medium heat. Toast for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until the spices release an aroma.
- Place canola oil and toasted spices into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1. Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, and blend for 2 minutes 30 seconds. Pay close attention as the oil will heat rapidly to about 160°F (70°C). Let cool slightly.
- Carefully decant the oil into a sterilized glass bottle. There will be small flecks of spices in the oil. If you prefer no flecks, carefully strain oil through a filter or sieve first before filling the bottle. Seal and refrigerate.
For a fun flavor variation, after you’ve poured the oil in the bottle, add 1 peeled garlic clove, 1 herb sprig, and a pinch of salt.
|Serving Size||15 gal (1 Tablespoon)|
|Amount Per Servings|