Homemade English muffins, so easy to make, are perfect to eat slightly buttered or as the base for your Eggs Benedict. Be sure to allow the dough to rise as long as possible to yield the most airy results.
- 180 ml (¾ cup) milk
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 380 g (2½ cup) all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 35 g (¼ cup) cornmeal
- Combine ¼ cup of the warm milk with sugar and yeast. Let sit and bloom for at least 5 minutes, or until frothy.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ½ cup milk with 2 Tablespoons of the butter. Bring to a quick boil. Immediately remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Once milk mixture is cool, combine with the yeast mixture and set aside.
- Add flour and salt to your Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 6 and begin to Pulse. Remove the lid plug, and while constantly Pulsing, slowly drizzle in the milk mixture through the lid plug opening for about 25 to 30 Pulses, or until a dough ball forms and lifts itself off the blades.
- Remove dough from the container to a slightly floured work surface. Begin kneading the dough until the dough is elastic and shiny. Place in a lightly buttered mixing bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel.
- Place dough in the warmest part of your kitchen, and allow to proof for at least 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Place dough on work surface and roll out until about ⅓ inch (7.5 mm) thick. Use a large biscuit cutter to cut out muffins.
- Place cornmeal on a cookie sheet. Gently press both sides of each muffin into the cornmeal until lightly coated.
- Place all muffins on a cookie sheet and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Proof for 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Whisk together egg and 1 teaspoon water. Brush muffins with this egg wash.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with 1 Tablespoon of the butter. Once melted, place 4 muffins in the pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and allow to cool before cutting in half.
- Repeat process with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of butter and muffins.
|Serving Size||80 g (1 muffin)|
|Amount Per Servings|