Never have a lumpy mashed potato again! Be sure to use russet potatoes only, as other potatoes have higher starch content and may get gummy.
- 820 g (2 pounds) russet potatoes, whole skin on
- 150 g (⅔ cup) unsalted butter
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk
- 10 g + 30 g (2 teaspoons + ¼ cup) Kosher salt, divided
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add ¼ cup (30g) of salt, and place over medium heat. Simmer until fork tender, about an hour and 15 minutes (do not boil, or the potatoes will fall apart and get water logged.)
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine butter, milk and remaining salt in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the butter is completely melted, then set aside.
- Once potatoes are fork tender, strain and peel using a dry kitchen towel or a paring knife. Break the potatoes into small pieces, about 1 inch (2.5cm).
- In the Vitamix container, add the milk mixture first followed by the potatoes. Secure the lid.
- Select Variable 3 and begin to pulse. Remove the lid plug and insert the tamper, using it to push ingredients down into the blades. Pulse 18-20 times, or until the mixture is smooth (be careful not to over mix, or the potatoes will get gummy and starchy.)
- Serve warm.
|Serving Size||120 ml (½ cup)|
|Amount Per Servings|