Vegan Eggplant and Lentil Burger
A lovely vegan burger where the patty is made in the Vitamix, showing the even consistency of the lentils and eggplant. Carrot, celery and onion are used to flavor a stock for the lentils, which are then blended up together, not wasting anything. Burgers can be made ahead of time and frozen for a quick, easy and healthy vegan dinner. This dish also goes well with sides made in the Vitamix such as ketchup or hummus.
- 100 g (½ cup) dry lentils
- 4 sprigs thyme
- ½ carrot
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ red onion, peeled, diced
- 3 eggplants
- 2 portobello mushrooms, gills cleaned
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 10 g (¼ cup) fresh cilantro leaves
- 20 g (¼ cup) mint leaves
- 15 g (¼ cup) flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 30 g (¼ cup) bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place lentils, thyme, carrot, celery and red onion in a small sauce pan and cover with water. add salt and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are soft.Roughly chop the aubergine and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let sit for 10 minutes for the moisture to release.at dry and spread the aubergine on to a large baking sheet, along with the mushrooms and garlic. Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 20 minutes or until roasted.Drain the lentils and leave to steam dry while the vegetables are roasting. Pick the thyme sprigs out of the lentils and discard.Place the aubergine mixture and the lentil mixture into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1, start the machine and increase to its highest speed. Blend for 30 seconds using the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades. Reduce the speed to Variable 8 and blend for another 20 seconds. The mixture should be smooth, for more texture in your burger blend for less time.Scrape into a mixing bowl and add the breadcrumbs, pomegranate molasses and herbs. Mix to combine. Portion into 6 patties (100g each) and place in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour.To cook, preheat oven to 375°F (180°C). Place a frying pan over medium high heat and oil to the pan. Fry the burgers for 3 minutes on each side and then place in the oven for 5 minutes or until completely heated through.
Garnish with your favorite toppings, relish, roasted red peppers and arugula are great.
|Serving Size||1 burger|
|Amount Per Servings|