Crab Cakes with Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
Succulent, golden crab cakes pair wonderfully with this recipe’s tomato-based sauce, which features chilies, garlic, and lime.
- bread slices, cubed
- 140 g (1 medium) red bell pepper, seeded, quartered
- 2 green onions, halved
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 400 g (2⅔ cup) white crab meat, divided use
- 45 ml (3 Tablespoons) vegan mayonnaise, or mayonnaise
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 Tablespoon lime zest
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- 45 ml (3 Tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- To make the crab cakes, place bread pieces into the Vitamix machine and secure lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to Variable 5, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
- Blend for 5 to 10 seconds or until it has formed breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Place the red pepper, scallions, cilantro, 1 cup (140 g) crabmeat, mayonnaise, egg white, lime zest and juice, cayenne pepper, hot sauce salt and pepper into the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 5. Pulse 5 - 10 time, until the mixture forms a coarse paste, using the tamper to push ingredients toward the blades Do not over process.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in remaining crabmeat. Stir gently to combine. Add enough of the breadcrumbs to form a stiff mixture. Put the remaining breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Shape the crab mixture into 8 patties of equal size. Coat in the breadcrumbs, pressing the crumbs onto each side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, cover with cling film and chill at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
- 200 g (2 medium) Roma tomato
- 60 gal (½ cup) dates, pitted
- 2 Thai red chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- Place all sauce ingredients into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 1 minute.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium–high heat, add half of the crab cakes and fry for 2 minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate and keep warm while you cook the remaining cakes. Serve warm with the dipping sauce.