Eggplant Cannelloni with Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
This vegan version of the classic Italian dish wraps a flavorful quinoa and vegetable blend in tender slices of baked eggplant.
- 2 eggplants, peeled, sliced lengthwise ½-inch (1.5 cm) thick
- 280 g (2 medium) red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 120 g (1 medium) onion, peeled, chopped
- 130 g (1 ) carrot, chopped
- 50 g (½ ) celery stalk, chopped
- 4 small garlic cloves, chopped
- 225 g (7 cups) baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon no-salt Italian seasoning blend
- 185 g (1 cup) quinoa, cooked
- 480 ml (2 cups) no-salt added tomato sauce
- 150 g (1 cup) non-dairy Mozzarella-type cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until eggplant is flexible enough to roll up easily. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons water in a large pan. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic.
- Sauté until just tender, adding more water if needed.
- Add spinach and Italian seasoning and cook until spinach is wilted. Add cooked quinoa.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Mix in 2-3 Tablespoons pasta sauce and all of the shredded cheese.
- Spread about ¼ cup (60ml) of the pasta sauce in a baking dish.
- Put some of the vegetable mixture on each eggplant slice, roll up and place in dish. Pour remaining sauce over the eggplant rolls.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until heated through.
Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 70 g (1 ) roasted red bell pepper, seeded
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) water
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts
- 60 g (½ medium) tomato
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- To make romesco sauce, place garlic, red peppers, water, vinegar, chili powder, pine nuts, tomato and yeast into the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to Variable 2, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
- Blend for 15 to 20 seconds or until chunky, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Serve eggplant topped with romesco sauce.
Mediterranean pine nuts are best.
|Serving Size||515 g (1 serving)|
|Amount Per Servings|