Gnocchi with Basil Pesto
These Italian potato dumplings are particularly delicious when served with pesto. You can serve the gnocchi as an appetizer or as a side dish.
- 454 g (1 pound) russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 large egg
- 125 g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, add a teaspoon of salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Heat over low heat, stirring to prevent browning, until the potatoes are completely dry.
- Mash the potatoes with a ricer or through a food mill and season to taste with salt, pepper, and a little nutmeg. Set aside to cool completely.
- Add the egg to the potatoes, and gently mix in 1 cup of the flour. Do not overwork the dough or the gnocchi will be tough. If the dough is very sticky, gently stir in more flour. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Using your hands, roll out pieces of the dough into ropes about 1 inch in diameter. Cut the long cylinders into 2-inch pieces. With gentle pressure, roll the dough pieces over a gnocchi board, or over the tines of a fork, pressing and rocking the dumpling with your thumb, to achieve a ridged edge on one side and an indentation on the other. Set the gnocchi aside on parchment-covered baking sheets while you make the pesto.
- 2 small garlic clove, peeled
- 120 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 160 g (4 cups) fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 40 g (2 cups) Italian parsley leaves, cleaned and dried (about 1 bunch)
- 35 g (¼ cup) pine nuts, toasted
- 25 g (¼ cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 36 g (¼ cup) Pecorino Romano cheese
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to Variable 6, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
Chef's Tip: Gnocchi is a great appetizer for an Italian feast, but it’s also a filling side dish when paired with grilled meats, fish, or vegetables.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|