Italian Herb Pizza Sauce
Herbs and spices blend beautifully to create the unmistakable Italian flavour of this pizza sauce, which can also be used on pasta.
- 15 ml (1 Tablespoon) olive oil
- 230 g (1 large) onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 small garlic cloves
- 35 g (2 Tablespoons) tomato paste
- 795 g (1.75 pounds) tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, optional
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, basil and oregano and cook until onion softens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer until tomatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Place sauce into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to Variable 4, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
- Blend for 25 to 45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
|Serving Size||60 g (1 serving)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|