Lemon Grain Salad with Kale Pesto
With so much flavor, you won’t even realize you’re eating healthy grains.
- 160 g (1 cup) pearl barley, cooked, cooled
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 150 ml (½ cup + 2 Tablespoons) olive oil
- 70 g (½ cup) dried currants
- 1 Tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 175 g (2½ cup) kale, stems removed, torn into pieces
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- In a small skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the currants and shallot and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the shallot is golden, about 3 minutes. Scrape into the barley and add the pine nuts.
- Place kale and lemon juice into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 4.
- Turn machine on and off 8 to 10 times to chop the kale, using the tamper if needed to push the ingredients into the blades.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 8.
- Remove lid plug and slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Replace lid plug.
- Blend for 15 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Toss with the barley mixture and serve.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||24 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|